[Foundation-l] [Announcement] update in board of trustees membership

Nathan Awrich nawrich at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 03:26:52 UTC 2007

I would agree with the mixed approach. A board with an executive
committee of community members, and a governance and audit committee
of outside experts. There simply is no substitute for Board expertise
- many crises have been prevented through trained and knowledgeable
leadership above management. Additionally, I think there are benefits
inherent in having 'outsiders' on the Board as long as they do not
dominate it - an unbiased, outsider perspective is often extremely
helpful and itself can avert many errors in judgement (see George
Bush). I think there is no real danger of being bought - the bylaws
seem to legislate against it, and certainly the community would be
destroyed.

As far as perceiving Google as a threat - I think that is a mistake,
really. An encyclopedic effort on the part of Google is no more a
threat to Wikipedia than any paper encyclopedia has been (unless they
go nuts and delist our links from search results). Rather, it is a
furtherance of Wikipedia's mission - and evidence that it is
successful and compelling. Competition, as such, can only improve the
entire field.

~Nathan