[Foundation-l] Racism in Commons

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Wed Dec 5 21:38:09 UTC 2007

George Herbert wrote:
> 2. An image on Commons *not* used on any project is... wrong.  Regardless of
> whether it's controversial or not.
>
> I don't mind there being free image repositories.  It would not be a bad
> thing if the WMF formed one as a new project.  Commons, as it stands now, is
> specifically more focused on supporting the other projects.

This hasn't been true for over a year now---Commons is its own, separate
project dedicated to hosting a repository of free images useful for some
informational, historical, educational, etc. purpose. It's not expected
that every single image on Commons will be used in a Wikipedia article
somewhere... in particular a *very* common use of Commons is for the
Wikipedia article to include one or two images of a subject, and a link
to Commons for the rest of them. We have *dozens* of pictures of the
Parthenon, for example, much more than any article on the Parthenon
could possibly shove in... so many are unused except in the Commons
gallery, which is just fine IMO.

-Mark