[Foundation-l] Racism in Commons

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Wed Dec 5 12:14:54 UTC 2007

On 12/5/07, Florence Devouard <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Some (many) of the images uploaded by Jaakobou are quite shocking.
> I am sorry, but I fail to see how many of these images are in any sense
> *educational*

As far as I can tell, the illustrations were not created specifically
for Commons. Rather, an illustrator named Carlos Latuff made them
available as public domain artwork. As such, they could usefully serve
as examples of particular types of political cartoonism, where we
normally would resort to fair use. See:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Latuff

for examples of Latuff's work. I've proposed an NPOV disclaimer
(before Anthere removed the cartoons).

--
Toward Peace, Love & Progress:
Erik