[Foundation-l] What's wrong with CC-BY-SA?

Mike Godwin mnemonic at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 14:20:42 UTC 2007

geni writes:

>  You are ignoring the other players. The FSF and art libre. If there
> were to be any changes to the CC-BY-SA we might have to talk to the
> EFF since we probably don't want them splitting their Open Audio
> License off again.
>
> Until we see a full draft there is little community can do either way.

For what it's worth, EFF favors in principle the harmonization of GFDL
and CC-BY-SA. (Full disclosure -- I worked as staff counsel for EFF
for nine years, and I maintain plenty of contacts there.)  They take
the view that CC-BY-SA is viral, but nevertheless makes licensed
content easier to use than the current GFDL (designed for software
manuals) does.  I view this as a feature, not a bug, since I believe
the mission of Wikimedia Foundation is to share information and make
sure it remains shared, and not merely to be a custodian of the
meaning of GFDL (that's what FSF is for).

--Mike