[Foundation-l] GFDL CC announcement

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sat Dec 1 18:46:38 UTC 2007

On Dec 1, 2007 1:25 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I don't understand this comment.  Presumably the GFDL "or later" will
> > be used to take Wikipedia to GFDL 1.3 (or whatever the next version
> > is), which will then be used to relicense as CC-BY-SA.
> >
> > Why not just make the GFDL 1.3 compatible with CC-BY-SA directly?
> > Well, for one thing, because there are people who use the GFDL besides
> > Wikipedia.
> >
> > Or am I misunderstanding what you find odd?
>
> What does other people using GFDL have to do with it? If the changes
> that make it compatible are in the spirit of the license, then why not
> change it for everyone? If they're not, then we can't change it for
> anyone.

Well, for one thing, obviously any work which uses Cover Texts,
Invariant Sections, Acknowledgements, Dedications, or Endorsements
probably wouldn't like being switched to CC-BY-SA.  But if you got
around that (similar to the GSFDL), I guess you have a good point.
However, it's a point which really can't be discussed until the actual
text and plans are revealed.  Maybe I was wrong for even speculating
as much as I have.