[Foundation-l] Wikimedia logos on Commons

geni geniice at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 18:53:19 UTC 2007

On 8/24/07, FloNight <sydney.poore at gmail.com> wrote:
> Honestly, what you are suggesting makes no sense at all to me.
>
> Of course Commons can keep its own Foundation's logo and it's other
> copyrighted material. It goes without saying that this exception is
> expected. To suggest otherwise seems really odd to me and most other people
> I think.
>
> Sydney aka FloNight

The biggest problem I've seen is the creation of derivatives without
permission. This results in:

1)stuff with a rather messy copyright situation

The copyright status of these two images is one example:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Wikipe-tan-in-seaside.png
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Wikipe-tan-in-seasidewhiteball.PNG

2)more unfree media being created

The pure logos are something we have to accept. The derivatives is an
issue that we cannot continue to ignore forever
--
geni