[Foundation-l] Wikimedia logos on Commons

Brian Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu
Fri Aug 24 16:41:51 UTC 2007

IMO, this isn't about law, it's an appeal to Common sense. The Foundation
can host their trademarked/copyrighted images on commons if they choose to.
The proposed "solution" to this problem was to move the images to another
site whose bandwidth and servers are paid for from the same pool of cash.
You wouldn't notice a difference when you are viewing the site, and there
really wouldn't be much of a difference.

I think Erik really got to the heart of the issue. If this _were_ an issue,
it boils down to the fact that you need to have legal protection of certain
digital media that is somewhat stricter than your philosophy usually
permits, and finding a way to tackle that problem in all open source
projects is the place to do this, perhaps with a new type of license.

But moving these images to another server hosted by the Foundation doesn't
change anything. The images need to be displayed, they are going to be
displayed, and who cares where they are hosted. I consider this discussion
harmful.