[Foundation-l] Spam blacklisting on Foundation wikis

Yann Forget yann at forget-me.net
Fri Aug 24 11:08:53 UTC 2007

Hello,

Luna a écrit :
> Any link blacklist will involve a certain amount of arguing and bureaucracy
> -- the meta blacklist affects all languages and all projects (the stakes are
> higher), and the relationship between people making requests and people
> maintaining the list is different. It's my understanding is that local
> blacklists allow us to manage things "in house" and hopefully avoid a lot of
> the policy arguments from meta -- the restrictive policy of one wiki is not
> a huge concern, anymore, if it doesn't directly affect the other wikis, for
> example.
>
> If we keep things local, we keep things simple for the "end user" (editor),
> which I guess is the way to go. Treating meta as a "last resort" is probably
> a bit much, as you've said, but I don't know that we gain anything by using
> the central blacklist all that often.
>
> How often do spammers go after multiple wikis? Multiple languages? How
> quickly will we notice, if they do? Those questions seem important to me, in
> terms of deciding how often to use/consider the meta blacklist.
> Unfortunately, I'm not aware of statistics on the first two. As far as "how
> quickly will we notice?" I'm guessing we're counting on people to notice
> these things (people heavily active in multiple projects and languages,
> especially), which probably means not very quickly. It might be helpful to
> have some software try and keep track of cross-wiki spamming -- beyond my
> ability, but I bet it'd be helpful, here.

Most often, they spam several langages and several projects at once,
even within and outside Wikimedia.

I think we need another feature to prevent spamming: the ability to
block the creation of pages with a certern pattern like .*/w/index.php
which are only created by spammers. A central black list of these would
be useful.

> Just a thought. Thanks for bringing it up.
> -Luna

Regards,

Yann
--