[Foundation-l] [Wikinews-l] Proposal for the creation of a Wikinews foundation

Craig Spurrier craig at craigweb.net
Wed Aug 22 19:26:36 UTC 2007

Brian McNeil wrote:
> What Craig has proposed is an organisation which has minimal assets and is
> thus not an attractive target to sue. It becomes problematic if such an
> organisation controls the Wikinews web servers, a legal attack can bring
> them down because we no longer have something like WMF clout behind us.

Exactly, the more assets it has the better target it is. Wikimedia is
mostly protected by the fact that it clearly is not the
editor/publisher.  We would while of course try for the same, it is very
possible that a court will say otherwise.

The other problem with separating from the WM foundation is we would
lose out on all of the wonderful benefits the foundation currently
provides us. We are overall very happy with the WMF, they are just
unable to fulfill one of our needs.

-Craig Spurrier