[Foundation-l] New project - wikicracy

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 09:36:14 UTC 2007

> I propose today to adapt wiki software (a few add-ons could do it) to create
> a special wiki with the following main characteristics :
> - Allow to build cooperative propositions
> - Allow to vote on the propositions democratically

I'm not sure those two characteristics work well together. Democracy
can only decide between a finite number of discrete choices. A
co-operative proposition building process is likely to end up with a
large number of propositions without definite borders between them.
Wikis are good for building consensus, not for managing a democracy.

That aside, the main problem is that you don't say what you intend
this site to make decisions about. It sounds like your are just
proposing an online debating society, which really isn't something the
Wikimedia Foundation would have anything to do with. By all means
create your own site along those lines, but it will never be a
Wikimedia project.