[Foundation-l] Future fate of Siberian Wikipedia

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 00:30:55 UTC 2007

At 7,211 pages, they are obviously working on something.

According to http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wikipedias it has
a low depth, but it is higher than some Wikis that are much larger:

- Lombard (0 depth)
- Telugu (3 depth)
- Cebuano (0)
- Volapuk (0)
- Newari (2)
- Bishnupriya Manipuri (3)
- Ido (3)
- Sundanese (4)
- Javanese (3)
- Piedmontese (2)
- Tajik (3)
- Sanskrit (2)
- Yoruba (1)

Mark

On 31/07/07, Johannes Rohr <jorohr at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> while I understand that nobody is keen to get dragged into the
> controversy over the "Siberian" Wikipedia[1] I still feel that some
> sort of a solution should be envisaged, even if currently there is no
> such body as a meta arbitration committee, that would have the formal
> authority to handle this case.
>
> The Siberian Wikipedia is composed in a non-notable constructed
> language, which has absolutely no recognition by any relevant
> authority. It is loosely based on historical contemporary Russian
> dialects of Northern Russia and Siberia. Much of its content is
> non-encyclopaedic, some has been considered highly offensive by many
> Russians.
>
> Notable cases, where action has been taken with regard to
> non-encyclopaedic Wikipedias in conlangs or Wikipedias in non-notable
> conlangs include the Klingon (thl) and Toki Pona (tokipona)
> editions. Both have been eventually relocated to wikia, where their
> authors have every freedom and opportunity to continue their projects
> as they see fit.
>
> Unless there are double-standards, the same solution should be applied
> to the ru-sib Wikipedia.
>
> Looking forward to your comments and opinions (if you have any),
>
> Johannes
>

> Footnotes:
> [1]  http://meta.wikimedia.org/Proposals_for_closing_projects/Closure_of_Siberian_Wikipedia
>
> --
> http://www.infoe.de/

Refije dirije lanmè yo paske nou posede pwòp bato.