[Foundation-l] Why is it...

Tomasz Ganicz polimerek at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 10:12:16 UTC 2007

2007/4/26, Christophe Henner <christophe.henner at gmail.com>:

> As far as I know it's almost like that, except for the ending date.
> Usually a board member announce the start of a discussion, then
> discussion is held, a decision is taken, and then the final decision
> is announced.

Well... not really. First of all - on this list the unofficial
discussions are constantly mixed with official ones. The only way to
know which is which is to take a look who started it. But Board
members and officers sometimes starts official discussion and
sometimes not official, and you have to be smart to know which is
which. There is plenty of "bla, bla" on this list which you can
totally ignore, so many people ignore many topics and do not read
them. I guess they quite often make mistakes what to read and what not
- including me of course.

Maybe the good idea would be to start open to read by anyone, but
strictly moderated E-mail list devoted to the official discussions
only? Or the Board members and other Foundation's "VIP's" should
clearly mark this kind of discussions, by using for example a prefix
in a topic like [Official] or [Important].  Such kind of starting
E-mails should be written in more formal, official way the others. For
example:

Official Announcement:

Wikimedia Foundation Board, would like to start discussion about: XXX
This is important because: XXX
The end of discussion is: XXX

The info about starting such discussion should also be put od
announcement pages of projects, which are pottentially interested in
this, and also sent to their E-mail lists.

--
Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
http://www.poli.toya.net.pl