[Foundation-l] A modest proposal: ads on wikipedia.com

SJ 2.718281828 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 12:55:28 UTC 2007

On 4/23/07, daniwo59 at aol.com <daniwo59 at aol.com> wrote:

> In a message dated 4/23/2007 12:54:50 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> meta.sj at gmail.com writes:
>
> The  project as originally conceived is only becoming more scalably
> supportable  by donations alone.
>
> This is quite an assertion. Do you have any evidence for this? Is this  based
> on an analysis of costs and growth? Or is this just an assumption?

What I mean is, the cost of hosting per page-view has dropped
tremendously, and we still have a ways to go there.  Someone should
compare pageviews to ambient donations absent a sitenotice.

There are further magnitudes of scale to be realized, and a ways to go
before it is actually simple and natural for site visitors to realize
the site is supported by donations, or make a donation. For instance,
as has been raised dozens of times in the past, there should be some
highlighting of "Donate" / "faire un don" / "Dary pieniężne" on the
default skin, so that people who would love to donate, but don't know
we have such a link, are able to support to the project.

SJ