[Foundation-l] what do we do in the event the Foundation fails? - Re: Pol...

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Apr 19 19:55:50 UTC 2007

Erik Moeller wrote:

>On 4/19/07, Lars Aronsson wrote:
>

>>Instead of that being a risk, I think it could be a successful
>>strategy. Lose it, drop it. Shake off all this hype that currently
>>surrounds Wikipedia. We could get away from discussing money and
>>lawyers and instead we could focus on how to write a better
>>encyclopedia.
>>

>Not a terrible idea - let's put Wikipedia's brand & domain on eBay and
>use the money for some serious innovation. ;-) Unfortunately, the hype
>about doing such a ridiculous thing would be so great that we'd be
>faced with the same growing pains a few months down the line ...

The idea is so outrageous that it might work.  The new venture could
start with a couple billion in the bank.  The databse itself would not
be saleable, and we might need to strip out the old names and logos.
The publicity surrounding the event would also give a boost to the new
venture under a new name, and it would carry on just the way we have.
Of course, the money in the bank could attract a few individuals whose
primary reason for living is spending other people's money.

Sounds like fun. :-$

Ec