[Foundation-l] what do we do in the event the Foundation fails? - Re: Pol...

Christophe Henner christophe.henner at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 23:17:57 UTC 2007

On 19/04/07, Delphine Ménard <notafishz at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/19/07, daniwo59 at aol.com <daniwo59 at aol.com> wrote:
> >
> > In a message dated 4/18/2007 6:56:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> > Anthere9 at yahoo.com writes:
> >
> > Delphine's angle is from the Foundation point of  view.
> >

> > And that is exactly what Kelly and I are saying should be protected. The
> > content, i.e., community,. will always be there. In fact, that should the
> > Foundation point of view.
>
> I would be grateful to all of you for not putting words or opinions
> into my mouth.
>
> My point of view was to say that yes, I agree that the "assets" (with
> the legal twist to it) ie. trademarks and domain names of the
> Foundation must be protected. And yes, I agree that they are the thing
> that are *worth* money today and make the Foundation
>
> But that NO, if the Foundation comes to pass, they are not the things
> that in the long run will make a free encyclopedia go on. In that,
> their value is limited, at least in time. And the Foundation should
> not forget to make sure the content stays free, and that the community
> agrees with the mission.
>
> Hope this makes my point of view clearer, sorry if it wasn't before.
>
> Delphine
> --
> ~notafish

Why do people come on wikipedia to read it? Because of his name or his
value ? What makes Wikipedia such a good project his name or is value?
What does attract more and more contributors his name or his value?
What IS the project a name or values?

In my opinion, even if trademarks and domains must be protected, the
important thing is our value, what we believe in, what we spend time
for... And personnaly I spend time to the mission the foundation has,
you know something about empowering and engaging people around the
world to collect and develop educational content under a free license
or in the public domain, and to disseminate it effectively and
globally.

--
schiste