[Foundation-l] what do we do in the event the Foundation fails? - Re: Pol...

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Wed Apr 18 22:06:01 UTC 2007

On 4/19/07, daniwo59 at aol.com <daniwo59 at aol.com> wrote:

> Legal question. Can a DSO for a 501 c 3 be an overseas organization?

IANAL, but since it would be a very limited agreement ("In the event
of WMF being unable to continue operations for a period of 4 weeks,
organization X is given permission to .." - use the brand, user
account data, etc.) I don't see why not. It would be not fundamentally
different from a trademark use agreement.

If we want to reach an agreement like this with a chapter, we should
carefully consider the impact of different jurisdictions on the
projects, though. EU is a mess of jurisdictions, and the Germans seem
to be quite litigious, for example.

--
Peace & Love,
Erik

"An old, rigid civilization is reluctantly dying. Something new, open,
free and exciting is waking up." -- Ming the Mechanic