[Foundation-l] Paid editing on en:wp ... the way it should be done

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Thu Apr 12 22:50:14 UTC 2007

Robert Horning wrote:
> I disagree with some of the scathing hatred that some people, especially
> on en.wikipedia, have toward getting paid for editing content on
> Wikimedia projects.  Sometimes it does go a little bit too far when a
> P.R. rep goes and polishes up an article that is clearly not NPOV, or
> adds information about each subsidiary and product as brand new
> articles, as well as articles about each member of their board of
> directors.  Perhaps that is useful, but it can strain the level of
> notability at times.

While I agree that this has happened, I thought I'd also point out that
some of these paid editors have produced good content, and have stopped
some of their problematic editing when it's been explained to them why
it wasn't consistent with our goals.  In particular, I've seen good (and
referenced!) edits to our articles on academic journals from employees
of the journal publisher, which is an area we have pretty bad coverage
of currently.  Employees of museums have also been quite good in general.

-Mark