[Foundation-l] Let me ask this a third time WAS: EDP: US servers loophole?

Michael Snow wikipedia at att.net
Thu Apr 12 05:09:18 UTC 2007

Erik Moeller wrote:

> On 4/11/07, Jussi-Ville Heiskanen <cimonavaro at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I think some people may miss where the essential difference between
>> taking a stand against oppresive laws and obeying culturally distinct
>> legal practises arises, and you might perhaps clarify it slightly.
>
> In essence, deliberately violating the laws and standards of a
> particular jurisdiction is a very consequential decision and needs to
> be considered carefully on all levels of organization and community.
> The default is: OBEY

I would phrase it even more carefully. We do not deliberately violate
the laws of any jurisdiction, or encourage anyone to violate laws to
which they are subject. However, the Wikimedia Foundation cannot
simultaneously be subject to the laws of all jurisdictions, particularly
as some of these conflict with each other. Accordingly, it is sometimes
necessary to operate without regard to some laws for some jurisdictions,
but even then we do not deliberately seek to violate the law.

--Michael Snow