[Foundation-l] Language Review Committee

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 20:25:47 UTC 2007

Again, you are poorly informed, and simply ignoring me is not doing
you any good.

There is already a _requirement_ that there be native speakers before
a Wikipedia can be started. The people who have complained here are
(mostly) not actually making their own requests, but are dismayed that
the requests of others (who are, in fact, native speakers) have been
put on hold for over a year.

Arbeo, myself, and David Gerard do not (at least I'm pretty sure none
of us do) know a single word of Latgalian, but we have seen that this
Wikipedia has several native contributors lined up and that they have
been waiting for a very long time now. These people would certainly be
capable of translating a message file, but what is being questioned is
the utility of having it before the actual Wikipedia is allowed to
begin especially since this requirement was created several months
after their request was intially "approved".

Again, if you are going to respond to an e-mail that I sent in the
first place and make veiled attacks on me, it's extremely rude to
ignore my responses.

Mark

On 03/04/07, Jeff V. Merkey <jmerkey at wolfmountaingroup.com> wrote:
> Robert Horning wrote:
>
> >I would have to agree that native speakers ought to be given some
> >consideration, particularly at the early stages of a project.  And
> >respect for the culture of those native speakers should also be given a
> >very high priority.  But as mandatory requirements for creation and
> >participation I have to respectfully disagree.
> >
> >-- Robert Horning
> >

> I think the issue is related to being fluent enough in the language to
> complete
> the messages file. Cultural issues are also very important.
>
> Jeff

Refije dirije lanmè yo paske nou posede pwòp bato.