[Foundation-l] A successful request not yet fulfilled

Yann Forget yann at forget-me.net
Tue Apr 3 09:44:28 UTC 2007

Hello,

> On 4/2/07, *Birgitte SB* wrote:
>
>     Due to past conversations I have had with people
>     involved with incubator, I read the comment about
>     "merging processes" differently than you did.  Perhaps
>     I am mistaken, and that is not what was meant in this
>     case.
>
>     However there are people who have been clear with me
>     that they think  [[:oldwikisource:]] should be
>     completely merged into [[:incubator:]] in the long
>     term.

This clearly shows the misunderstanding of what Wikisource is and what
[[:oldwikisource:]] is meant for.

Although some Wikipedias will remain small for a long time because of
lack of contributors, some Wikisources will never get more than a few
dozen or hundreds of pages, simply because the original content in that
language doesn't exist. Another example is Sanskrit (a bit more than
1700 pages) which could qualify to have its own subdomain because of the
amount of content, but does not because of lack of contributors.
Although we could dream to have the whole of Shakespeare and Victor Hugo
translated in Sanskrit, the quantity of existing Sanskrit texts will
never be more than a few thousand pages. For some other languages, it
will ever be much less, so creating and *maintaining* a wiki for only a
few pages is quite a waste of work and time. That's why
[[:oldwikisource:]] exists and will continue to do so. In that sense,
this interwiki name is also badly chosen.

Regards,

Yann