[Foundation-l] Planned change to default IP blocking behavior

magiske prosesser magipro at organizer.net
Wed Oct 18 09:22:09 UTC 2006

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 10:13:21 +0200
  "P. Birken" <pbirken at gmail.com> wrote:
> We have made the experience that from most schools,
>there are never
> ever useful contributions. Hundreds of If the IP-block
>can be
> circumvented easily by creating accounts, this will only
>create more
> work on the vandalism front, see also
> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kategorie%3AIP-Sperrung

I believe the perspective you present is somewhat
constricted as we ought to take into account that a lot of
these "vandals" having been introduced to Wikipedia in the
confining and not often inspiring environment of school in
many cases will come back to us of their own volition to
contribute with something valuable. Perhaps therefore the
nuisance is outweighed when the bigger picture is
considered. Since this connection isn't easily spotted or
documented (and hence not acknowledged), it would be easy
to adopt a preventive practice such as you advocate,
however, we might not in the end be better off for it.

Halvor (User:meco)

--
email to and from this person will be subject to public
availability