[Foundation-l] What to do with wikimedia.com/.org

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 16:43:36 UTC 2006

geni wrote:
> On 10/10/06, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:
>
>> 1) a link to the Foundation website
>> 2) links to the chapter websites (slightly smaller)
>> 3) links to the projects (slightly smaller still).
>>

> There should be a donation link there somewhere.
>

>> The site itself should avoid language, but I'm sure we can make it
>> spiffier than the current one.
>>
>> Is this general pattern acceptable? If so, I suggest we launch and
>> advertise a design contest.
>>

> No. Tried that before it doesn't work. It sort of works for single
> images but for entire layouts you are probably looking for ways to get
> people to colaberate.
Hoi,
Currently the only options we have is to have a user and consequently
the addressing of people in their user language or people are completely
anonymous and they are addressed in English. When single login is
finally getting priority, a site like wikipedia.org or wikimedia.org
will be able to make use of what we already know from users. Having text
will therefore be less of an issue.

I would advocate to have a halfway house between a user and the current
standard address in English. I would like people to opt for there
anonymous usage of our services by just indicating a language
preference. This would be associated with that user on a platform and
consequently they will get a user interface (when we have it) for that
language on any of our projects. In my opinion, this would be a great
help for many people. This would also make the step that people have to
take a lot less steep. I know that many English wikipedians would like
less people contributing, this feature is not for them. This feature
will help people who do NOT speak English as their first language.

Thanks,
    GerardM