[Foundation-l] UMP Convention

Anthere Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 6 09:02:08 UTC 2006

David Gerard wrote:
> On 05/10/06, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>The problem is that most goverments hold the copyright on things of
>>significant value and as such are unlikely to release them directly
>>into the public domain. Most will consider it enough to allow use for
>>non comercail uses or for educational uses. Or will produce something
>>like the british crown copyright system.
>

> The results of this approach was, I thought, the precise point Anthere
> was making to quite a lot of the members of the very popular
> centre-right political party in France. After catching their attention
> with 10% of French voters being Wikipedia users. (Must find out the UK
> numbers.)
>

> - d.

yes, precisely David.

For our stats in France, we use largely our biggest stats organization,
Mediametrie.

French population is 60 millions, with 50% connected to the net and 25%
using it daily.

Below, stats for august 2006

Rang Marque		unique visitors
Google  		16 687 000
Orange  		12 695 000
MSN/Windows Live  	12 397 000
Free  			11 621 000
Yahoo!  		9 312 000
PagesJaunes		8 777 00
Microsoft  		8 182 000
eBay  			7 373 000
Mappy  			7 052 000
Voila  			7 043 000
TF1 Network  		5 859 000
Lycos Europe  		5 406 000
Cdiscount.com  		5 324 000
L Internaute  		4 974 000
Alice  			4 837 000
01net. Network		4 810 000
voyages-sncf.com	4 709 000
ViaMichelin  		4 490 000
La Redoute		4 476 000
Wikipedia		4 443 000
Skyrock Network  	4 438 000
Rue du Commerce		3 778 000
Meteo France 		3 750 000
Amazon  		3 732 000
AOL(*)  		3 711 000
PriceMinister		3 548 000
AlloCine  		3 356 000
Credit Agricole  	3 353 000
LA POSTE  		3 265 000

In this list, apart from american websites

Orange: we met them 2 weeks ago. They are interested by a datafeed;

La Redoute: invited us to present Wikipedia 2 weeks ago.

PriceMinister (equivalent of french ebay): was present at the UMP panel
I attended.

Rue du commerce: contacted us for business opportunities 1 year ago.
Typically a datafeed except it did not really existed back them. They
wanted a tech and legal contact. There was no real feedback from us (no
tech in french. No legal interested. End of the story).

Imho, we could have opportunities with (excluding US) about half of that
list (if someone had the time and cash to contact them and make them
propositions).