[Foundation-l] Taipei chosen to host Wikimania 2007

SJ Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 00:08:47 UTC 2006

+++ Ray Saintonge [03/10/06 01:25 -0700]:
>valdelli at bluemail.ch wrote:
>
>>I strong support three different Wikimania: one for Europe/Africa,
>>one for Asia/Australia, one form America.
>>
>>The Asia has got many problems and one Wikimania cannot solve them,
>>but also the core of Wikipedians are in the Europe, but also the
>>Digital Divide is a big problem in Africa, etc.
>>
>As for Africa and the digital divide it could be a humbling experience
>for those of us from developed countries to go to a conference there.
>We could have first hand experience of the difficulties in bringing
>knowledge to the people of that continent.

A very real digital divide exists; but your last statement could come
across as patronizing.  More interesting than 'bringing information to'
is receiving information from less technologically developed regions...
countering 'systemic bias' in a way that is only recently imaginable.

SJ