[Foundation-l] Mywikipediaspace

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Mon Oct 2 20:49:18 UTC 2006

daniwo59 at aol.com wrote:

> I am currently reading the Terms of Service of Myspace. [...]
> Forbidden thing 11 is:
> displaying an advertisement on your profile, or accepting
> payment or anything of value from a third person in exchange for
> your performing any commercial activity on or through the
> MySpace Services on behalf of that person,

The Wikipedia community's background in free software is different
from this.  The reason why you cannot use your personal Myspace
account for selling advertising is not that Myspace wants to be
ad-free, but because Myspace wants to sell that advertising
themselves.  On the other hand, if some company wants some
functionality added to Linux or to the Mediawiki software (for
example, to adopt to the company's file format or hardware), they
are free to pay somebody to do this, and release the modifications
under the same GPL license.

If a hotel chain wants to promote tourism in their area, they are
(and should be) free to pay somebody to write good articles for
Wikipedia about places, sights and monuments in that area.  Of
course, the articles must be NPOV and contain verifiable facts,
describe notable objects, the contents must not violate any
copyrights and it must be released under the GFDL.  But the
commercial purpose is not forbidden, and the WMF doesn't need a
cut from the money that went into the authoring of this contents.

If the hotel chain went and talked to Myspace, I assume that
Myspace could allow them to set up a non-personal (commercial)
account for a fee with different terms of service.  I don't use
Myspace and I don't know if they sell such accounts, but I guess
it could be a good business to do so.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)