[Foundation-l] Term of service?

Kim Bruning kim at bruning.xs4all.nl
Thu May 25 10:52:30 UTC 2006

On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 11:21:14PM +0800, THD wrote:
> Hi, Friends,
> There are some people proposing a policy for administrator's term of service
> in Chinese Wikipedia. In the proposing policy, when the term of service is
> over, administrators shall get their administrative power through a
> re-election. I want to know that is there any Wikimedia project with this
> kind of policy? In my own opinion, this is quite weird. I want to know what
> will other language editions do when facing this kind of proposal. Thanks.
> THD

The problem is that this is impracticable on a large wiki where you
have a lot of trusted users (aka admins). I'd prefer to have a large
ratio of admins to users (something like 95% admins) so that
adminship really *isn't* such a big deal.

Every time the ratio goes down, you get all kinds of silliness
erupting. We've seen that on en.wikipedia.

Reconfirmation of admins will force you to keep a smaller admin pool,
thus worsening the ratio admins:normal users, and ultimately causes
unpredicatble social effects.

If you have ways of predicting the social effects, I'm all ears here
by the way :-)

read you soon,
	Kim Bruning (who almost typed ~~~~ in a mail)

--
[Non-pgp mail clients may show pgp-signature as attachment]
gpg (www.gnupg.org) Fingerprint for key  FEF9DD72