[Foundation-l] Serbia and Montenegro

arnomane at gmx.de arnomane at gmx.de
Wed May 24 10:29:49 UTC 2006

Am Mittwoch, 24. Mai 2006 03:37 schrieb Filip Maljkovic:
> And that's all there is. We're all interested in sharing knowledge, but
> not the projects. People just don't wanna cooperate and you just can't
> force them. I think ongoing flame/revert wars at English Wikipedia speak
> for themselves.

Well. Random Wikipedians coming from Serbia and Croatia or some other former
yugoslav republic and flaming against each other is no surprise but the
people that are active members in Wikimedia chapters should be way more
resonable.

As Wikipedia is a mutilingual open minded community it would be just very
anachronistic not working together across borders. And additionally there is
no real language barrier for example between Serbs and Croats. For example
the Serbian and Croatian language are much more similar than the various
German dialects (that have in fact a large variety).

So what does speak against a shared Wikimedia chapter in that region apart
barriers in mind and maybe some legal problems with establishing a
multinational chapter (I am sure there is a way how to solve it)?

So I want to say: Open mind does not start with being open minded towards
people that live in nations several thousands kilometers away but with being
open minded towards the direct neighbours.

Why not creating a Wikimedia chapter that is a community asociation of
croatian, serbian, serbo-croatian ... Wikipedias and which is thus trying to
care about all of them?

Arnomane