[Foundation-l] The status of smaller languages on the Wikimedia Commons

Anthere Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Sun May 7 00:13:32 UTC 2006

Daniel Arnold wrote:
> Am Samstag, 06. Mai 2006 18:57 schrieb amgine at saewyc.net:
>
>>The promotion and translation subcommittee is very interested in helping
>>with translation tasks. Their page is at
>>http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Communications_subcommittees/PT but they
>>may be contacted via the Communications Committee mailing list at
>>wmfcc-l at mail.wikimedia.org (this list is moderated to reduce spam.)
>>
>>The Communications Committee holds weekly meetings to be available to the
>>community. You can see the schedule and agenda for meetings on the
>>Committee's page on Meta:
>>http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Communications_committee
>

> Well there is already a project in Commons perfectly suited for that case and
> people are working right now in there and I really wonder why people seem to
> think that an translation effort of Wikimedia Commons needs to be coordinated
> by a "sub commitee" (sorry if I read that word I read "be aware of
> bureaucracy").
>
> Basically all we need are people that just do things without large meetings,
> scedules and debates and start working up the tasks at:
>
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Help_page_maintenance
>
> For sure I appreciate any help but it is more than just that single minor
> important main page that needs to be translated but real help pages like this
> one:
>
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:First_steps
>
> Regards,
> Daniel Arnold

I would like to clarify something, which appears to be misunderstood.

Committees (and subcommmittees) do not exist to *replace* local
communities to do things. They can help local communities, or not.

The primary role of committees is to do what the Foundation should do.
It is distinctly different.

Ant