[Foundation-l] The status of smaller languages on the Wikimedia Commons

SJ 2.718281828 at gmail.com
Sat May 6 17:24:23 UTC 2006

On 5/6/06, folengo at netcourrier.com <folengo at netcourrier.com> wrote:

>  when I can't, and recruit a voluntary translator for the Main Page
>  in each language. It is also possible to use all our connections to

What parts of the main page are you trying to translate?  What are the
standards of 'being updated' that are of concern?  Many of the small
language portals which were removed are, if not direct translations of
the 'main' English portal, perfectly useful.

>  people who know someone, who know someone... who knows a
>  given language, as Brianna (4) who says she knows someone who
>  speaks arabic. It is also possible to use the History of the pages in
>  the various languages to find the names of the people who wrote them.

Sure.  I don't believe this is about threats; just about answering
'what information needs to be on a good Commons portal, which
languages don't have this, and how can find people who know the
appropriate language who can fix that?'

> 1) http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template_talk:Lang-mp

I find the discussion of "uselang=" the most interesting on that page.
 This would be a crude first step towards giving anonymous readers
more of a say in how they browse the site.  Perhaps uselang choices
could also be pulled from browser settings, and potentially set as a
cookie independent of them logging in (for those who never create /
don't want accounts).

SJ