[Foundation-l] The status of smaller languages on the Wikimedia Commons

Erik Moeller eloquence at gmail.com
Thu May 4 14:19:05 UTC 2006

I'm not sure why this needs to be discussed on foundation-l. The relevant page:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Template:Lang-mp&action=history

There doesn't seem to have been much discussion about this yet.

On 5/4/06, folengo at netcourrier.com <folengo at netcourrier.com> wrote:

> Do you think imposing smaller languages the same
> pace as that of the larger ones is fair ?

That depends on the changes which are asked for. If it's about
updating the pic of the day, then it only takes one or two dedicated
individuals to do that. When you have a low number of required updates
per day, update frequency is actually a fairly unbiased criterion of
comparing languages, as opposed to the article count we use on
Wikipedia to determine visibility of language links.

If the update conditions are clearly defined, reasonable, and applied
fairly and consistently to restore or remove links, it doesn't sound
like such a bad idea.

Erik