[Foundation-l] English Wikipedia Version 1.0 logo copyrighted to foundation

Titoxd@Wikimedia titoxd.wikimedia at gmail.com
Wed May 3 05:52:13 UTC 2006

As part of the planned release of the English Wikipedia's "Version 1.0"
release, one editor had created a logo for the project based on the
Wikipedia globe, which would constitute a derivative work. I recently found
out that the logo, found at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:WP1_0_Icon.png, was "released" under the
GFDL. As this is not possible due to the Foundation's policy, after
consulting with Anthere, I changed the copyright of the image to point to
the Foundation, as done in the Wikipedia logo page.

I'd like to know if this is enough to transfer ownership of the image to the
Foundation, or if there is something left to be done. We might need another
derivative logo for a planned test release, dubbed "Wikipedia 0.5" for now,
so I would also like to know if doing so would be possible, if it became
necessary for the responsible editorial team to do so.

Sincerely,

Titoxd.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Titoxd