[Foundation-l] Wiki conferences this August, and logos (fwd msg)

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 08:27:31 UTC 2006

[resending to foundation-l]

August seems to be "Wiki conference month"  this year : WikiSym is
moved back to Aug 21-23 (in Odense), and both Dutch Wikimedians (ca.
August 20) and Chinese Wikimedians (August 27-29) are arranging
August meetups around Wikimania.  I like the familiar look of the
Chinese page... ;-)  but there are logo / name issues involved.

How should such events be named?  The Dutch event gets "Wikimedia
Conference" in there.  'Wikimania' is a nice nickname for the global
conference; it might be useful if it were unique.  But it would also
be nice to have a way of indicating solidarity among other related
events.   (For geeks in the US, think 'Foo Camp' vs. 'Bar Camp')

http://nl.wikimedia.org/wiki/WCN
http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:2006%E4%B8%AD%E6%96%87%E7%B6%AD%E5%9F%BA%E5%B9%B4%E6%9C%83/en

Below is an email sent by Siriudie from Chinese Wikipedia to the
foundation, asking whether they could use a derivative of the
foundation logo for their satellite event... which raises the
question: what do we want to do for Wikimania proper?  Does it make
sense to have a separate icon for Wikimania, in addition to the
(unaltered) Wikimedia logo?  There was a recent suggestion that we use
a version of Ben Yates' swoosh logo for Wikimania:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_ideas/Cafe_Press#Print-On-Demand_or_not.3F

Regards,
   SJ

On 3/13/06, wikimania-l-bounces at wikipedia.org