[Foundation-l] Opinions/suggestions for "outside" members of the board?

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 04:33:23 UTC 2006

Fred Bauder wrote:
> On Jun 25, 2006, at 12:45 AM, Gerard Meijssen wrote:
>

>> We could have some servers in Africa... There is some reluctance of
>> the
>> developers to overcome.. We could hope that the project of the Vrije
>> Universiteit bears fruit.. and help it where we can. With this project
>> successful, it would mean a peer to peer MediaWiki whereby content is
>> near the people that want it.
>>

> Ok, Vrije Universiteit is in the Netherlands. What project do they
> have which relates to Africa?
>
> Fred
Hoi,
They are building an application that allows the hosting of Wikipedia
content in a peer to peer basis. When successful it means that people
can opt to run a Wikipedia peer on their hardware. This peer network
would know what information is in demand and distribute it accordingly..
So when a certain topic is in the news .. the network would react by
bringing more copies of the data to where it is in demand. This would
overcome among other things the current problems with peering agreements
between ISP's.

They are at the stage where they need real life (anonomised) traffic
details to test the distribution of traffic in a big private GRID network.
Thanks,
    GerardM