[Foundation-l] Re : Where we are headed

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 25 14:51:27 UTC 2006

--- James Hare <messedrocker at gmail.com> wrote:

> To respond to Jimmy's e-mail,
>
> Another problem with communication is all the pages
> it spans. I maintained
> several user and user talk pages, but I only need
> two of them. Although the
> normal MediaWiki software can maintain the status
> quo, Wikimedia's should be
> designed a bit differently: the projects can have
> the mainspace, the portal
> space, and the project space, but a central wiki
> (Meta, anyone?) would have
> the help pages and the user/user talk pages. Surely
> this has been discussed
> before?

Centralizing the help pages is  a bad idea.  There are
technical differences between projects.  For example
en.WS has subpages enabled and therefore uses relative
linking which does not work on other projects.  There
once was a bot that went through and imported on the
Meta Help pages into en.WS (even overwrting some of
local copies!)  It was not useful and they were all
run through deletion.  They too detailed, too much
information. Local help pages need be very simple and
deal with just the common issues, and then link to
Meta for advanced help.

Birgitte SB