[Foundation-l] New privacy policy

Nathan Reed nathanreed at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 02:46:02 UTC 2006

Excellent -- thank you. Reading the policy, I find:

"It is the policy of Wikimedia that personally identifiable data collected
in the server logs, or through records in the database via the CheckUser
feature, may be released by the system administrators or users with
CheckUser access, in the following situations:"

Does this mean that personally identifiable information may be released by
users with CheckUser permissions? For example, is it permissible for me to
release the actual IP address of a vandal to the general public? I'm not
sure, but this may not be a good thing.

I can understand using the information for IP blocks, but perhaps the
release of the information should not be so broad in these cases. Or, maybe
I'm tired, have failed to comprehend the policy completely, and have missed
something.. :D

-N.