[Foundation-l] Opinions/suggestions for "outside" members of the board?

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 01:28:44 UTC 2006

On 6/19/06, Anthony DiPierro <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:
> I gave a brief explanation of what I think Erik is talking about wrt
> Larry Lessig.  For an example of the dispute, see also
> http://intelligentdesigns.net/blog/?p=25

So you believe Erik opposed Lessig for being pragmatic enough to
believe that there is a place in the world for unfree but not
outrageously limited content?

I'd hope that Lessig would realize that "free as in beer" media is
already done rather well by NPR, and that while there is a place in
the world for unfree things, that place isn't Wikimedia.   I'd hope
so, and nothing from my limited conversations with him has suggested
otherwise...  It would seem to be rather disrespectful to dismiss him
on the basis of such presumptions.

> His problem with Mitch Kapor seems clear.  For more background see
> [[Mozilla Corporation]].
>
> I'm not sure what his problem with RMS and Eben Moglen are.

As above these people have a proven track record and substantial
experience.  They may hold some views which are incompatible, but we
can't know that based on assumptions and our own criticisms related to
circumstances which are vastly different from our own... It's clear
that they all have vision and  experience which could benefit us, and
a proven trackrecord to back up their claims.   It's not like anyone
is discussing handing them board seats without discussion.

> These people don't bring particularly different perspectives to the
> organization, but I do think their input is useful, because they
> represent some of the most influential people with regard to those
> perspectives.  I'd love to have RMS and Larry Lessig battling it out
> on this mailing list over how best to implement Wikimedia project
> copyright policies (with Eben Moglen presenting his own opinions as to
> how best to implement these policies).  But I think it's pretty
> obvious that they're already invited to do so.

Presumably they aren't here arguing on the list because they are busy
getting something done. :)

> Unfortunately I don't know much about Mitch Kapor.  But given what I
> do know I would love to hear his input on how best to bring
> sustainable revenue to the foundation.  This doesn't mean I know
> enough to say he should be given a vote.

Absolutely, I don't know enough either. But I know enough not to
dismiss them off hand...

The claim that we're so different from everything non-profit,
everything free culture, etc.. It sounds rather ridiculous to me.

> As I alluded to of those 4 people I'd probably be willing to give RMS
> a shot.  From what I've seen he definitely seems to have the integrity
> I'd want from a board member.

People are very polarized about RMS. I think people fall into three
groups about him, people who are just clueless, people who respect his
work but have never argued with him, and people who have had an
argument with RMS.  (Arguing with RMS is like arguing with a highly
intelligent brick wall).   :)