[Foundation-l] the easy way or the less easy way

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sun Jun 18 14:40:52 UTC 2006

Anthere wrote:
> Erik Zachte wrote:
>
>> Anthere:
>>

>> My point, please give it few more days or even weeks, perhaps give yourself
>> a break as well, before you decide no one is interested.
>> We don't need to reach a conclusion within a week. Better slow and steady
>> than hastily and without results.
>>
>> Erik Zachte
>>

> My own point is that we may have days, but we may not have weeks.
> I know who is on the board now, I do not know for sure who will be on
> the board in a few months. By the way, about a good dozen people
> indicated their interest to be on the board, and some of them gave their
> opinion on the current topic. Others did not.
>
> I think that it would be interesting that all current candidates
> actually *give* their opinion publicly on what they consider is
> membership, on how membership should be taken into account and which
> type of organisation they envision would be best for the Foundation.
>
> Ultimately, either we together will have to decide which persons should
> be elected (in case of elections) or I (and other board members) will
> have to decide which persons to appoint (in case of appointments).
>
> During last elections, some people complained that there has not been
> much "deep" discussions. To my opinion, membership and organisation are
> really important topics. There is a pending resolution which aims at
> appointing a temporary board member. This board member will have a
> voice, just as current board members have. This person will be able to
> impact greatly the future of the organisation depending on his/her
> position. I gather I was elected with the expectation I will make
> informed decisions with regards to the future of the organisation.
> I do not consider myself informed enough. No decisions is required. But
> opinions are necessary.
>
> ant
Hoi,
Weighing in on the subject.

The first question to ask is what IS our organisation and what is its
values, how does it work so far.
Our organisation is the Wikimedia Foundation. Its value is in providing
an organisational background to several projects that exist in many
languages. There are a few ground rules that are enforced by the
organisation. They are NPOV, wiki and Freedom and, they are aspects of
the mission statement of the WMF. The projects have a specific domain
and they are organised per language. By and large they are self
organised. The English Wikipedia serves as a role model for many of the
projects and the many language versions.

The WMF provides infra-structure; it owns the hardware it provides some
office functions including legal expertise. When necessary it steps in
and takes action in order to prevent legal problems. The WMF provides
the financial underpinnings for the operation of the projects by
soliciting funds via the projects. There are some meta-functions for the
projects; OTRS stewards and two developers are paid to oversee the
smooth development of the MediaWiki software.

The projects largely run themselves. There are opposing faction on
almost everything. This does not mean that things do not develop. They
do. People can become relevant in a project and they can become
irrelevant again depending on the quality of their social skills and the
recognition of their value to the project, the community. When a choice
is made for a more formal structure in the projects, it means that the
current processes are pushed to the side. My expectation is that the
result will not lead to what some expect ie more stability.

The WMF is very much an enabling organisation. To accomplish this,
chapters have been started. They too are imho intended to support the
organisation in countries. When charitable money is solicited, this can
only be considered charitable (and tax deductible) when it is done
according to the laws of the land. The chapters are also great to use as
a vehicle when organising events. In my opinion, it would be good to
emphasize the organisational nature of the chapters and have strong
links between the chapters and the organisation.

The consequence of all this is that the WMF is very much about
organisation. It helps prevent editors falling victim when they behave
irresponsible by intervening when it is necessary for legal reasons. It
provides the monetary and organisational background needed for
activities undertaken by the projects.

When people want to become member, they can. They can become member of
their chapter. This allows them to find the organisational background
when something is to be organised from within the projects in their
country. When there is no chapter yet in a country, this points to the
immaturity of the community in a country. This immaturity may exist for
many reasons. One reason may be that there are not many projects
relevant in a country. When the WMF is of the opinion that it would be
GOOD to stimulate projects in a country and for a particular language,
this is something where particularly infrastructural things come to mind.

When people are of the opinion that they want direct influence in the
WMF, the current representation by board members is one way. It could be
that chapters are given some visible influence in the WMF.When people
want influence, they can do what they have done so far; make a lot of
noise or they can get themselves a reputation of being helpful in
finding solutions by actively involving themselves (e.g. in the Betawiki)

* I am of the opinion that there should be an US-American chapter. The
WMF is NOT its chapter and should not play that role.
* I do not like to hear that you are not sure who will be on the board
in the not so distant future.. I hope to see you there

Thanks,
   GerardM