[Foundation-l] Fundraising ideas - bursting the bubble

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Wed Jun 14 14:52:06 UTC 2006

On 6/14/06, Lord Voldemort <lordbishopvoldemort at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/14/06, Anthony DiPierro <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:
> > In the Tampa Bay area, say a 50 mile radius of the main office.  Or
> > say the USF campus, to make it even simpler.
>
> Actually, that's a great idea. Hit up some college or university
> campus, find a group of 5-10 people, tell 'em you'll give 'em a few
> bucks (20-40... depending on how many you recruit) for stuffing
> envelopes for WMF for a couple of hours.  Most college kids are
> strapped for cash and would eagerly participate.  While the speed of
> the work may not be that of a professional company, it would be
> cheaper, and perhaps even spark interest in Wikimedia projects if the
> university newspaper ran a little story about students helping out WMF
> (like we need more university student contributors 8^ ) ). I don't
> know, just throwing out some thoughts. --LV

If you're going to go that route, you should at least pay minimum
wage.  I rounded up to $10/hour in my estimate.

Of course I think you could probably get 5-10 people from the USF
campus just by offering them free pizza and soda and telling them it's
for a good cause.  And more than 5 people is probably too much unless
we're talking about a volume much greater than 1000.  Those paper
folding machines are an enormous time-saver, and just one inexpensive
one probably isn't going to support more than 5 workers.

Anthony