[Foundation-l] Hiring of Interim Executive Director and Legal Counsel

Tim Starling t.starling at physics.unimelb.edu.au
Mon Jun 12 22:44:39 UTC 2006

Jimmy Wales wrote:
> Following a long discussion, both publicly and privately, the board of
> the foundation voted recently to hire an interim Executive Director and
> legal counsel.  We offered the position to Brad Patrick, and he
> accepted.  We have discussed at length the parameters of the
> position, including job responsibilities, and so on.  (This has been
> posted and discussed publicly as well.)
>
> Who is Brad?  Brad has been our pro-bono legal counsel for the past
> several months, has become very active in foundation matters and in the
> projects.  He is of course a huge fan of free software, Larry Lessig,
> and Wikipedia, and lives and breathes this stuff.  Rather than doing
> "merely" legal work (nothing mere about it, of course) for us, he has
> gotten involved in helping the board think about policy, in helping
> Danny deal with various "customer support" issues, etc.

Does he have any experience in running an organisation?

My only dealings with him have been conflicts: first exposing the errors in
his argument on [[m:Talk:Chapters committee]] and second defending Waerth
from his bullying on this list. I can only hope that the future will be
brighter.

-- Tim Starling