[Foundation-l] Instant Commons : INCORRECT

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Fri Jun 9 21:07:17 UTC 2006

Gregory Maxwell wrote:

>And the claim that we encourage it today can not be supported. When
>was the last commons dump? November 2005.  How many people have
>downloaded the 300 gig archive?

We encourage people to copy images; I don't see what different it would
make whether we encourage any one person to copy all the images at the
same time, or instead encourage many people to each copy some of the
images at their leisure.

We explicitly say: "Unlike traditional media repositories Wikimedia
Commons is free. Everyone is allowed to copy, use and modify any files
here freely as long the source and the authors are credited and as long
you release your copies/improvements under the same freedom to others."

What legal difference would it make if: 1) we encourage people to copy,
use, and modify files, which we provide in a format in which it's quite
easy to do so; and 2) we encourage people to do the same, but provide
them in a format that is slightly easier still to use?

-Mark