[Foundation-l] Instant Commons : INCORRECT

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Thu Jun 8 13:15:12 UTC 2006

Erik Moeller wrote:
> They don't care about whose name is attached to the contract. They
> care that WMF wants this to go ahead. Many organizations will be the
> same way: "Oh, Wikimedia wants 5000 EUR for this project? Sure, we'll
> help! Oh, you want us to deal with these guys over there to keep the
> overhead low? Sure, can do!" We can and should define a size of
> contract where things cannot be handled this way anymore, of course.

I will never allow you to use the Wikimedia Foundation name to raise
money for a project with no written proposal, no budget, no
professionalism, just "trust us, it's a cool idea".

At the present time, this project has moved quite properly beyond that
stage, with good people having reviewed it, details having been worked
out, etc.  Super.  But short-cutting that process would not lead us to
have dozens or hundreds of great projects, it would lead us to complete
and total scandal and ruin, as people like Kennisnet would discover that
the Wikimedia Foundation saying 'yes' to a project means no more than
backscratching someone we like.

--Jimbo