[Foundation-l] Where we are headed

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Mon Jun 5 14:00:43 UTC 2006

Erik Moeller wrote:
> On 6/3/06, Jimmy Wales <jwales at wikia.com> wrote:
>> Erik Moeller wrote:
>>> So, Wikimedia is shaped by people who feel that the very philosophy
>>> that made WP a success is not applicable to organizations.
>> And Erik wonders why I felt that he misrepresented my views in that meeting.
>
> With all due respect, I wasn't talking about you above.

Ok, I am sorry then.

> And your remarks in this thread have been exemplary for the same kind
> of vague, non-committal statements of reassurance. Instead of "I think
> we should have two more community-elected members by the end of
> August", you'll say something like "We continue to be deeply committed
> to the ideal of increasing the number of people on the Board, and
> whether or not these are community members is secondary to  meeting
> our charitable goals and thoughtfully finding the most qualified
> people to help us do so" (made up quote).

I apologize, too, that a quote of me that you made up is too vague. ;-)

> Another question: How much does Tim Shell actually participate in any
> Board-level decision making, meetings, resolutions, open and private
> discussions? If this is not about your control, why is he still on the
> Board?

It is my expectation that Tim will be replaced by the end of this year.

Notice that such decisions are not up to me, but up to the entire board.
 We have been discussing board expansion, and it is a complex matter.
We are not prepared to say at the moment exactly how or when it will
happen.  My expectation is that we will see at least one additional
member from the community, and one additional member (likely from the
free software / free culture world) to provide additional external
oversight.

--Jimbo