[Foundation-l] Latest board resolutions

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Sun Jul 30 17:49:13 UTC 2006

> >Can I just clarify for people who may not be aware of such things, but
> >there are *two* basic forms of leasing.
> >
> >One is where the company 'selling' the equipment provides the leasing
> >facility, such that the equipment remains the property of that company
> >during the lease (basically what has been discussed)
> >
> >The other is a Finance lease, where you 'buy' the finance separately, use
> >that finance to pay the equipment supplier and own the equipment yourself,
> >subject to payments to the bank or other provider of the finance.
> >
> I don't see the latter definition as applicable.  It's a question of why
> we would consider leasing in the first place.  The latter is more suited
> to companies with a cash flow problem, or where there are tax motivated
> considerations.  For us, the underlying motivation is asset protection.

What I was initially thinking about was closer to the second, though,
especially in terms of Wikipedia, the two are rather similar, since
Wikipedia doesn't own its own hosting facility in the first place.

The primary motivation, as I said, would be accountability.  To put it
another way, if Wikipedia doesn't have to worry about cash flow, then
it's time to take the donation request off of every page, and there
won't be a need for any fundraisers ever again.

Anthony