[Foundation-l] Latest board resolutions

Tim Starling t.starling at physics.unimelb.edu.au
Sat Jul 29 00:51:09 UTC 2006

mboverload wrote:
> On 7/27/06, Brion Vibber <brion at pobox.com> wrote:
>

>>Our next purchase is additional caching proxy servers; these are essential
>>keeping pages flowing since they handle most of the visitor and image
>>traffic,
>>and the current ones are expected to start dragging as the back-to-school
>>traffic peak comes at the end of the summer.
>>
>>-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
>>

> Not sure if this is related, but I have seen more squid errors than I've
> gotten before.

It's not related. Squid error messages are what you get when squid is
working and something else isn't. When squid isn't working, you just get
timeouts or refused connections, it's left up to the browser to report
an error to the user.

The something else that isn't working is typically a segfault in PHP or
APC, which squid reports as ERR_ZERO_SIZE_OBJECT.

If squid is pushed over its capacity, the result is poor page view
performance, although there's half a dozen things other things that can
cause that. Identifying a system bottleneck can be a complex task.

-- Tim Starling