[Foundation-l] Wolf Mountain MediaWiki Appliances Released

Jeff V. Merkey jmerkey at wolfmountaingroup.com
Wed Jul 26 23:22:07 UTC 2006

Domas Mituzas wrote:

>Um. You could share your technology, for common good, sure!

What does this mean exactly?  Whose good?    Commerce is not evil,
Wikipedia was born from it .... and is supported by it.

>I did not :(

That's clear....

>I just opened Five Pillars article, and I know that I may fail at
>'code of conduct' sometimes, sorry, but, Wikipedia has neutral point
>of view.
>No 'please donate' buttons will make filtered forks (a.k.a. mirrors)
>worth mentioning as "helping Wikipedia".

Wikipedia usage as a credible resource is the standard for measurement
of its success.  If folks don't think its credible,
or view it as a novelty, then it has failed.   Personal soapboxs aside.

>Filtered resource/mirror does not give full power to edit the free
>content.

I can think of nothing more powerful than every person on the planet one
day owning
their own personal wikipedia mirror.  Now that's freedom to edit.

>Sure, $$$ attracts business people, and we have few business people
>here, but we have the pride of not taking that with strings attached.

Food costs money, rent costs money, computers cost money, hosting costs
money,
internet connectivity costs money -- the strings are that Danny and
Jimbo have to pay
everyones bills to keep it going.  How about those who wish to funnel
$$$ into their efforts
by creating some viable revenue generating initiatives around it.

>We have pride to make free information resource ;-)

I have pride in creating translations to bring it to every native tribe
in the US and Hawaii.  And I
can back up what I promise with action and solid delivery  -- not hot
air :-).

>It would be an easy task to make a list of countries worth visiting
>to provide wikifilter (I'm quite amused to find wikifilter.org is
>still free ;-) - there're lots of things people should not know
>(because it is all very very depressing (c) Colbert ;-)

< But I hope foundation has more noble causes to exist. >

You have missed the point and I don't think understand my intentions.

Jeff

Thread taken off line ...