[Foundation-l] Wolf Mountain MediaWiki Appliances Released

Jeffrey V. Merkey jmerkey at wolfmountaingroup.com
Wed Jul 26 21:21:42 UTC 2006

geni wrote:

>On 7/26/06, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Why so much storage?
>>
>>Uncompressed enwiki text is 680GB. All images in total are about
>>300GB. Loaded into postgresql with a normal set of indexes enwiki
>>takes about 400GB, I can imagine that a mysql load would be any larger
>>(in mysql mediawiki uses zlib batch compression).
>>
>>I guess the 3TB makes sense to have some growth room.. but 18TB?
>>
>>:)
>>

>If you are doing mass computerised translations you could burn through
>it pretty fast.

I have to host three instances of Wikipedia, so my storage for
WikiGadugi is at 2 TB at present. I use the a shared images
setup just like the Commons, and an automated syncrhonizer that checks
for new images in a non-obstrusive way.

Wikimedia may want to consider setting up a subscription service through
cogento for folks using these appliances to
increase their revenues by offering a private mirror link for images and
content. Folks could buy appliances then purchase
a subscription to Wikimedia's images and commons setup via rsync or http
in a similair setup to Red Hat's setup for
support. Would allow a lot of MediaWiki appliances to move and also
provide Wikimedia additional sources of revenue
with little to no investment on their end.

Jeff