[Foundation-l] Fwd: Wikipedia and books for African children

Anthere Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 23 10:45:21 UTC 2006

Anthere wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Let me forward this email to Foundation-l for other
> people feedback, and let's keep in touch with this in
> any case :-)
>
> Florence Devouard
>

> --- Marlies Klooster <marliesklooster at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>This is the e-mail I meant.
>>
>>Thank you!
>>
>>Marlies
>>
>>Begin forwarded message:
>>

>>>From: Jimmy Wales <jwales at wikia.com>
>>>Date: 17 July 2006 2:21:43 PM
>>>To: Marlies Klooster <marliesklooster at gmail.com>
>>>Subject: Re: Wikipedia and books for African
>>
>>children
>>
>>>Thank you! :) You might consider sending this
>>
>>email as well to
>>
>>>foundation-l at wikimedia.org so that more people in
>>
>>our community will
>>
>>>see
>>>it and learn about this wonderful organization.

>>Wikimedia, especially

>>unique for our times

>>read an interview

>>which you made the

>>make money from

>>to books for children

>>feel I should tell you

>>Biblionef. This NGO donates

>>children’s organisations

>>Biblionefs in other

>>Biblionef South Africa only

>>group comprises children

>>access to books.

>>that the books they

>>means they cover all of

>>library and at least half

>>public library. The

>>of reading. This is

>>children. That is why

>>be donated. In doing

>>publishers in various ways.

>>the African languages

>>reprints or

>>its donation to

>>year, during which we

>>during which I had

>>libraries who had (or

>>small, some had hardly

>>You have to visit an

>>world deprived of

>>those libraries is in the

>>connection, too. But doesn't

>>stories conveyed in

>>to donate toward books

>>think of Biblionef.

>>consideration.

>>Charities, a 501(c)(3)

>>and companies to make

>>their fund.

>>person because of

Dear Marlies,

We look forward collaborating with initiatives such as yours.
I presume you are familiar with the concept of our project, collecting
and organising information, which may be used or reused by anyone. The
ultimate idea being to help increase access to information to anyone in
the world, regardless of his country, race, gender, age, financial
situation etc...

The fact is that we are good at collecting information. We are good at
organising it. We are frankly not very good at publishing it on a medium
other than internet. And we are not good at all at distributing it
(except that through internet channel).
In short, creating content is one job. Publishing/distributing is a
different job. And one which requires for us to set up collaborations,
in particular when distribution is done in countries where rather few of
us live (such as South Africa) or in specific situations (such as
distribution in school).

To make it clear immediately, we do not give money to organisations. All
what we collect ourselves is needed to make our own organisation run.

Quick overview of the South African initiatives.
Basically, three projects are of a size which might interest you.
Wikipedia (encyclopedia), Wikibooks (textbooks and manuals) and
Wiktionary (dictionary).

Only two of your languages are decently covered in wikipedia as far as I
know : english and afrikaans. If other languages exist, they are
probably essentially inactive due to lack of participants. I do not
think we could trigger translations initiatives in other languages due
to the lack of human force :-) (your help would be welcome :-)).

As for Wiktionary and Wikibooks, you may consider they only exist in
english for now.

English wikipedia : http://en.wikipedia.org (roughly one million articles)
Afrikaans wikipedia : http://af.wikipedia.org (roughly 5000 articles)

If you are looking for a kid version of an encyclopedia, there was
recently an initiative by SOS Children (contact Andrew Cates).
See here for more :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia-CD/Download

That's actually a selection of articles, not articles written for
children. It is in HTML version, may be downloaded for print. But it
will not constitute a book per se. Still, it may interest you.

More interesting probably are what we call wikijuniors. These are books
developped on Wikibooks. As all of our content, these are free to use.
These books are developped specifically for children. They are partially
or totally translated in other languages (probably not those which
interest you at this point).
I invite you to have a look at this initiative.
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikijunior

There are rather few books for now, but the concept is now set up and
there is no limit to what we could do. I'll add that knowing that a book
is used, in particular to children in need, is a great incentive for an
author. Most of the content originates from Wikipedia, but is re-worked
to fit kids needs.

You will notice that some of those books are now "finished". Some are
currently in the works.
Amongst those finished, there is one which may be purchased as a print
version by LULU (please see http://www.lulu.com/content/346504 for
reference).

To realise these Wikijunior, we got financial support from an american
Foundation. This support was just renewed, so that we could push forward
this initiative. I consequently expect that we'll get more books soon in
the future. It would actually be interesting to have a feedback from an
organisation from yours as to which books would be most necessary.

So, at one end of the rope, we have content. At the other end of the
rope, we have Biblionef. What we need in between is a publisher and
money to publish.

I actually went to South Africa in september 2005, to participate to
discussions over FLOSS (free and open software/content) in South Africa,
and in my case, over the creation of a Wikiversity project
(http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikiversity)

During these discussions
(http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Conference_reports/FLOSS%2C_South_Africa_2005/Workshop_2),
I remember a presentation about the HP i-communities initiatives
(http://h40058.www4.hp.com/icommunity2/index.asp) and discussions over
printing issues in South Africa by an SA publisher, further discussed in
Wikimania
(http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2005_Presentations#Wikimedia_in_the_Developing_World
for general overview), where legal issues over teaching text printint in
South Africa where raised by Achal
(http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Transwiki:Wikimania05/Presentation-AP1).

... which lead me actually wondering if any printing in South Africa
would be a good idea :-) but also suggest that we have many contacts and
several potential sponsors for projects in that country (which we
absolutely don't for projects in say... Algeria or Nigeria).

I'll be interested by your thoughts on the matter, such as which types
of books would be most necessary for kids (and problematic for you to
get by other means). If you would be interested by collaborating with us
(which would imply finding a publisher to produce some of the
wikijunior, and of course cash to produce them). Of course, this would
not happen in 3 months of time, but I doubt the issue of kids needing
books badly will be solved by the end of the year.

I look forward to your answer.

Anthere / Florence Devouard

PS : I presume other initiatives might be of interest, but these are
those at the top of my mind. I also remember south african editors
working on a books dealing with mathematics (or was is physics ?) at
high school or university level, but I lost memory of those. Maybe
someone will remember a link or two as well.