[Foundation-l] Help requested on Commons copyright woes

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sat Jul 22 00:36:47 UTC 2006

> Of course Bridgeman v. Corel did include a view that UK law would
> produce the same result. I suspect that there are number of people
> trying to make sure that there is no repeate case in the UK.

Yes indeed, this is why I was quite shocked and disappointed when
JamesF told me otherwise. :-/

> > I'd be much happier if we had people sneaking into galleries and
> > taking pictures (no flash please)...
>
> It is posible you could get permission from smaller galleries.

Yes, Absolutely.

> > Like above I don't think this is (yet) the biggest of our problems.
> >

> As long as we make sure to lable where we are useing it it should not
> be a massive problem to fix.

Yes, and no...  I don't think that the corel case would ever entirely
stop being a factor... but what exactly counts as a slavish
reproduction is an area which will see much debate in the future.

We may be in a position where we are stuck reviewing all the bridgeman
v. corel tagged images... and not being able to tell based on some
future precedent.

> Are you sure that exposeing wikipedians to the outside is a good idea?

Don't worry, you can get internet access outside now.