[Foundation-l] Help requested on Commons copyright woes

Oldak Quill oldakquill at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 23:11:37 UTC 2006

> Saying that photos of 3D pd works do not carry copyright is not a
> conservative interpretation. :)

I said that them carrying copyright is rare. I was entirely mistaken
in this sentence. My point relating to 3D PD works was more that if
the author uses odd shadowing and angles or anything creative like
that I would certainly consider them copyrighted. Naturally, all
photography of 3D objects employs shadow to some extent and I don't
think the copyright/non-copyright line can be drawn between degrees of
shadow-use.

> The only reason that we hold the position that (in the US) photographs
> of PD 2D works don't gain the photographers copyright is because of
> Bridgeman v. Corel.

Yes, I had heard of a case. Thanks for the name.
--
Oldak Quill (oldakquill at gmail.com)