[Foundation-l] Help requested on Commons copyright woes

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Jul 21 21:36:23 UTC 2006

Oldak Quill wrote:

>>So, you wouldn't allow photos of buildings where a company's logo was
>>on their building?
>>http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:NYC_Top_of_the_Rock_Pano.jpg
>>is a featured image on commons and has logos, even if they are a bit
>>blurry. A clearer example is
>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Melb_cbd.jpg
>>

>If we can be sure that we aren't breaking the law, then I'd be very
>happy for Commons to house such images. I really can't say whether
>we're breaking the law to copyleft an image with a copyrighted logo in
>it, I certainly hope law isn't that restrictive.

You can NEVER be sure that you aren't breaking the law.  Please stop
expecting miracles.

Whether something like this is copyrightable depends on the law of the
country where the object is located.  The notion that a picture of a
building with a company logo on it might be a breach of copyright is
preposterous.  Has there ever been a single case in any country that
supports this notion?

Ec